Friday, September 5, 2008

Five Miles Per Hour


I am informed by my friend Paul that when he travels the Canadian highways his average speed is sixty miles per hour but in Trinidad his speed is determined by that of the garbage truck traveling along the Saddle Road ahead of him, and that speed is five miles per hour. 

Now, that seems to me to be a true statement which makes me very sad, as it didn't used to be so long time. Things worked better then.

Anyway, coming back to the transportation speed, I am led to think of the person responsible for handling that in this administration, that smiling and smirking fellow who constantly reassures us that all things are just fine and are only going to get better. To be frank with you I don't believe him for one second. I believe he is a prancer and a pretender, but that is just my opinion and by no means a fact.

Anyway, if I had his job one of the things I would do is offer special deals to government employees on motorbikes up to 250 cc in order to minimize traffic. 

Bikes are really good. I had a bike before I had a car and I can tell you that there are few pleasures greater than leaning into a corner on a bike at speed with your hair blowing in the wind on your face and if you lucky, a girl behind you holding on. Ah, the eternal pleasures. 

Bikes are great. I have one and now that school has started back I am riding it more to avoid the increased traffic, but many of those eternal pleasures have changed. Helmets have constrained the hair and the voice. No breeze and freedom. Hot. 

I used to go around throwing raw eggs at schoolgirls and rivals from a motorbike in the days when it was okay to do that. It surely is not now what it used to be then but I certainly did have lots of fun on a bike and continue to do so occasionally.

Back to the point: more bikes, less traffic. That's how they maximize transport in parts of Asia while minimizing traffic jams. It perhaps could work, and even if it made a small reduction in traffic initially it might catch on as more and more people learned to ride. 

I wonder how many people in T&T know, technically, how to ride a bike? I wonder if the person responsible for transport in this administration knows how many? Has the idea been looked at and discarded for more grandiose plans in an effort to spend the max?

I wonder if he knows what he is doing. Somehow I doubt it as nothing seems to be getting better.

If he does we happy, right? 

If he does not then we are all going to continue to travel along at five miles per hour.


No comments: